Q: Why is my truck is leaking transmission fluid?

asked by on March 03, 2017

My truck is leaking transmission fluid, and I believe it is the seals or the pans. Also, with the oil pan, would I have to lift the engine or is there any other way to do it? If someone can give me any advice on this, that'd be great. Engine: 460 Transmission: e40d

Oil/Fluid Leak Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. Check the location of the transmission fluid leak on the case to determine what needs replaced. There are 5 locations for the transmission to leak that are common.

Locations of a leak

• The input shaft seal
  • The rubber grommet seal on the fill tube
  • The pan gasket
  • The vent tube (in the event the transmission may be overfilled)
  • The output shaft seal
  • The shifter bushing could be damaged
  • The cooler line connections

If you are wanting to replace the transmission oil pan gasket, you will have to drop the exhaust system if there is a wide pipe that crosses under the transmission and jack up the engine if the pan cannot clear any cross frame members. Make sure that you jack the engine from a secure solid location or winch it up with a cherry picker and then engine mounts need to be removed. If you need further assistance with the transmission oil leaks, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.