Q: Can the oil pan gasket replacement be done at home? 2006 Lincoln Ls V8. Does it use just a liquid gasket or does it use an actual gasket?

I saw Oil that seemed to have leaked from around the oil pan gasket during performing the last oil change. The dipstick also reads about a half quart low after driving for approximately 2wks. Now I can also smell burned oil after spirited highway drives. I can now see were oil has accumulated around the bottom sections of the engine as well when prior to observing the oil leakage during the last oil changed the bottom of the car & engine were squeaky clean as if it were a brand new car.

Oil Pan Gasket Replacement $187.84 - $534.97 Get a Quote

Hi there. The oil pan gasket is either a gasket of cork or rubber (silicone molded) or a spread of RTV Silicone. The oil pan gasket can be removed at home, you will just have to jack up the vehicle and set it on jack stands. It is best to have the whole vehicle on jack stands, however, if you only have two jack stands, be sure to set the parking brake and put wheel chocks behind the rear wheels. If you need further assistance with replacing the oil pan gasket, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.