Q: Clicking from wheels when turning

I hear a clicking coming from the wheels when turning corners. Subaru has suggested that I either have the wheel bearings re-packed or the axles replaced. I need to know if either is necessary.

With the information provided about your Subaru, it would be likely that the axles would need to be replaced. While a bad wheel bearing can make a noise while turning, the noise would usually sound like a groaning noise that would be consistent with the rotation of the tires. A clicking sound while turning is typically from the joints inside the CV boot of the axle. This noise is a sign of the axle joint having dried up or loss of grease due to a torn CV boot. To be 100% certain it may be time to enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic. They will be able to identify why your car is making clicking sounds while turning and assist in making the necessary repairs to keep your Subaru running safely. It must also be noted that for this particular vehicle, if the axles do need to be replaced, I highly recommend replacing them with ONLY OEM Subaru axles. Aftermarket axles on Subarus tend to transmit vibration from the engine that can be felt by the driver and passenger. Cheers!

3. Clicking from wheels when turning