Q: Transmission flush vs fluid exchange and filter change 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I bought a used certified 2012 jeep grand cherokee, V6 in Dec 2015. I'm assuming that the transmission fuids were checked prior to sale. It had 75K miles at time of purchase and in the last 13 months I have put on 45K miles (120K)

Although I have had NO issues, and the vehicle is in excellent shape, I haven't done any transmission, differential or transfer case maintenance yet, but I know it's time to address it. The owners manual is vague, and references use under the"normal driving conditions"... I have been using the vehicle everyday for Lyft (150-175 miles daily) so certainly not "normal".

Question:

At this point in the vehicles life, would you recommend a complete transmission system flush or just a transmission fluid exchange and a new filter? (Heard a lot of pros and cons to flushing - loosening debris, creating clogging, the reverse pressure process loosening seals, etc. vs having a complete cleaning for sustaining better transmission life)

Hello - the "to change, or not to change" transmission fluid is a somewhat controversial discussion, especially in the day of claimed "lifetime lubricants". In my experience, when you plan to keep a vehicle well past 100K, it is a small but worthwhile investment to change the transmission fluid and filter in your transmission. In your case, there is a filter to change, which requires dropping the pan (exchange method). Since the exchange method leaves a large quantity of old fluid in the torque converter, you might consider draining and replacing the fluid in the pan again, after the initial filter change, refill and engine start/warm-up, to enhance the overall percentage of fluid changed. I recommend a transmission filter and fluid replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, perform this service, and get you back on the road for Uber/Lyft duty quickly.

3. Transmission flush vs fluid exchange and filter change 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee