Q: I replaced the fuel pump and now my truck won't start

I recently replaced the fuel pump and now my truck won't start. When the fuel pump is hooked up on the tank, no fuel is pushed through, but I can hear the pump running. However, when I disconnect the fuel pump and hook it straight to the battery, the fuel pump sprays fuel out. I've checked and both the relay and the fuse are good. What else could be the problem?

Hi there:

In some cases, when the fuel pump is not supplying fuel from the tank to the fuel injectors it’s due to one of three different issues. First, it’s possible that the pump or some of the hose attachments are installed backwards or that there is a blockage somewhere in the fuel lines; typically at the first fuel filter. Finally, it’s possible that you have a ground issue somewhere near the fuel pump that’s causing a reduction in power. The best way to trace this issue is to contact a mobile mechanic and have them help you diagnose this issue; as the process for tracing a fuel pump delivery issue can be complex and very time consuming.

3. I replaced the fuel pump and now my truck won't start