Q: Lifter ticking and need specs and diagrams to replace the lifter.

asked by on December 31, 2016

Ticking from a single lifter. Changled oil, pulled valve cover and inspected. Looking for specs and diagrams to pull head and replace the lifter.

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. First you will need to drain all of the engine coolant from the engine. Then you will need to remove the intake, exhaust manifold to the side that has the lifter that is tapping, and make sure that all bolts to the rocker arms are loose. Take out all of the push rods and remove all the bolts to the cylinder head. Use a small pry bar and gently pop up the cylinder head. Remove the lifter cases and pull out the lifters. I recommend replacing all of the lifters in the engine to prevent any additional lifter noise. The clean off the engine deck and put on a new head gasket. Install the head and torque down the bolts. You will have to set the rocker arms in and torque them too. Then hook up the exhaust and intake. When you have the engine all back to together, then make sure that there is clean oil in the engine and new coolant in the engine and start it up. The tapping noise should go away. If the tapping noise is still there, then there could be an oil gallery that may be clogged and needs cleaned. (click here for the engine specs). If you need further assistance with replacing a lifter in the engine, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.