Q: What should I know about the positive retention floor mats?

What should I know about the positive retention floor mats?

Your floor mats provide protection for the carpeting under your feet, and the mats used in your vehicle have a special design. They’re what are called positive retention floor mats. They use a hook system to keep them in place (the driver side). There are several things you should know about your mats and any potential replacement mats you might install:

• Make sure the retention locks are set correctly. Otherwise, the floor mat can slide up under the pedals and compromise your safety.

• Never install more than one floor mat in the floorboard (don’t stack one on another).

• Never use a floor mat that’s not sized to fit your car.

• Never let objects fall into the foot well on the driver side. They can roll under the pedals and compromise your safety.

• When installing a floor mat, position it so that the eyelets hook first, then lay the rest of the mat on the floor.