Q: overheating quickly, busted hose from coolant tank and will not hold antifreeze.

asked by on October 02, 2016

i have a 2001 grand am which was running fine. one day after about 1 mile the temp gauge went all the way red and i saw white steam/smoke from the engine. when i looked under the hood there was a hose split in half and busted off the coolant tank im not too sure what it even connects too. all other hoses were still in tact and good condition. i just had the thermostat and fans replaced less than a month ago. the car will not hold any antifreeze and will overheat in less than 5 minutes when driving. i cant seem to figure out how to connect this hose. what could have caused the hose to split like that and what is this hose connected too?

Hi. The usual cause of a hose to split like that is the hose being old and the rubber of the hose not holding the pressure of the coolant system causing it to split or buster. This hose is either connected to the lower radiator or to the radiator itself. If it is connected to the lower radiator hose, you will have to buy the lower radiator hose assembly to fix this problem. If you need help having this checked, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the overheating problem and help you move forward with repairs.