Q: ABS Module failed. Can I install a refurbished part or does it need to be programed.

Just want to know if abs module needs to be programed. I can buy part online for fraction of dealer price.

A: This is a good question, and a common one! ...

This is a good question, and a common one! ABS modules are made by vendors other than the auto manufacturers, they DO have software in them, and the software is different from one automobile implementation vs another. For example, Ate makes ABS controllers used in many vehicles from different manufacturers. This is a question for the seller of the ABS module you intend to buy: does the new unit have YOUR vehicle's software pre-loaded or is this a task for you and your VW dealer? (Some dealers will not re-program an ABS device acquired elsewhere, or charge extra for that!) There are ABS module rebuilders who will rebuild your specific ABS module, ensuring the correct software remains on the device, or build you a new module, pre-loaded with your software software. Ask the vendor - it matters!