Q: Coolant

OK so I have a 96 cobra I've noticed that the coolant has been disappearing. I filled it up and when I got home to check it it had lost coolant. Put some more in it and it leaked overnight no signs because it had rained. Already have checked for head gasket and it is not that. I did notice my radiator fan has not been working but didn't know if that could cause it to leak. I sort of believe it could be a water pump because when shifting it has a supercharge whine and I don't have a supercharger and it has other water pump symptoms. I'd just like to figure this out. Thanks for your time

A: Hello. Typically in a circumstance such as ...

Hello. Typically in a circumstance such as this, a mechanic would pressurize the cooling system when cold, so as to allow up-close inspection, and identify the leak. A non functioning cooling fan can cause overheating which indirectly could cause coolant loss as the overheated, pressurized coolant blows past the pressure relief valve in the radiator cap. That mechanism of loss occurs mainly when the "cold" level of coolant in the recovery or overflow tank is already relatively high and thus there is no space for excess liquid coming from an overheated system. In any event, if you are loosing coolant you may have a leak that will be discoverable once the system is pressurized. If you'd like, a YourMechanic certified technician can perform a coolant is leaking inspection on your vehicle at your home or place of business.