Q: Whirring noise at lower speeds

If I increase or decrease the speed, I notice a whirring noise. It happens only at lower speeds when I apply the gas pedal or try to decelerate. What could be making the noise?

A: Hi there. If this noise changes as you acce...

Hi there. If this noise changes as you accelerate and decelerate then most of the time it is caused by a failing pinion bearing in the rear differential. I usually start by checking the fluid in it to see if it is low or if it has been replaced. If the fluid is fine then it may need to have the differential rebuilt. If you want to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you home or office to diagnose the noise you're hearing and repair this.