Q: Sometimes my ford transit 250 won't start.

Yesterday after driving all day I stopped and took the key out to go into a store. When I came back out the engine wouldn't turn over, not even a click. After it was jumped it started. It started just fine a few hours later also. It does this every once in a while. What's causing this? Ignition switch?

With intermittent conditions such as yours, the challenge is recreating the failure. We can’t diagnose a car when it is working properly. The problem does not exist at that time. This could be a bad ignition switch, but is more likely to be a bad connection at the battery posts or starter. Either way, your car will need to be diagnosed with a wiring diagram and a test light.

The possible failures are listed below. * starter. * Bad battery cable connection. * Neutral safety switch, AKA gear selector switch. * Starter relay. * Related fuses.

Any of the above components could be at fault. The only way to know is through direct testing using a test light and a wiring diagram.

I recommend the following inspection to help you figure this out. Car is hard to start

Good luck!

3. Sometimes my ford transit 250 won't start.