Q: Brakes not working well in rain

My car has this problem that occurs only when it rains outside. Sometimes when I'm trying to brake, the car will continue going forward as if it's sliding and will then jerk to a sudden stop. While the car is sliding I can't turn into either direction. I could have the steering wheel turned all the way to the right and the car will still go straight but then the car will turn right once the car jerks into the brake. What could be causing this and how do I solve it?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy ...

Hello, thanks for writing in. I’d be happy to help.

From what you describe, it sounds like your vehicle is experiencing understeer and hydroplaning. I would recommend taking care of this issue as soon as possible, as the symptoms they create can compromise the handling, and therefore safety of the vehicle. The first thing I would do is inspect the vehicle’s tires and brakes. If the tires are excessively worn they may not be able to provide adequate grip for the vehicle, which may result in the tires slipping when braking. I would also carefully examine the brakes to see if they may be low or worn out. If the vehicle is equipped with an anti-lock braking system (ABS) it may be possible that there is an issue with the system, perhaps one of its sensors or the module. It is important to drive safe in the rain.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.