Q: hearing high pitched loud whistling (NOT squealing) sound while driving up hilly neighborhood

asked by on July 20, 2017

When driving up/down a hilly neighborhood between 15-30 mph I am hearing a loud high pitched whistling noise that lasts up to 60 seconds or so and doesn't stop until I get to non-hilly area. It seems to occur when I let go of accelerator and will persist when stopped for a bit. Called mechanic to bring in and they said it is really difficult to diagnose without it "actively" making the sound when I bring it in. I worry it may be timing belt? As my car ages I want to keep properly maintained. Any advice?

Hi there. Generally speaking, the mechanic you contacted is correct; that’s it is very hard to diagnose a sound or noise without being able to replicate the source of the noise. This is why we offer mobile mechanic services, so we can come to your location, test drive the vehicle with you and diagnose issues like you’ve described before attempting any repairs. In many cases, a loose serpentine belt or damaged pulley will make this type of noise while climbing a hill.