Q: Can a bushing was checked out and looked fine to a mechanic, can it go bad 2-3 weeks later?

I bought a used car that was supposed to have been checked out before being sold to me. 2-3 weeks later I was told the bushing went bad. Should this have been caught before it was sold to me?

A: Hi there: Different mechanics and automoti...

Hi there:

Different mechanics and automotive retailers have unique service checks before selling a car or saying that it's "OK" to sell. So it's virtually impossible for us to tell you whether or not the bad bushing should have been discovered. Most of the time, a dealership will complete a detailed safety inspection, that typically includes checking all fluids, most suspension parts, tires, brakes, belts, and cooling systems.

If the dealership told you that they inspected the bushings, shocks, struts, and other parts before the sale, and then you discovered the broken bushing, you may have rights to file a claim against the dealership, but it's very difficult to prove that and is unique for each US state.

If your dealer is unable to help or if you simply want a second opinion on this, consider enlisting a qualified professional who can diagnose your suspension and fix it accordingly.