Q: Automatic transmission warning light.

asked by on October 26, 2016

The auto transmission warning light comes on occasionally (the tranny stuck in 4th gear) after I start the car. Turn the engine off, re-start the light stays off. Never comes on during driving. Hope you able to give me some advise what could be cause of this bug.

Thanks

Hi there. Since the warning light is coming on, I would usually scan the computer for codes to see what is going on. Most of the time this is caused by a failure in one of the transmission sensors or the valve body. It can also be caused by low fluid, so I always check that at the beginning. If the fluid is fine, then the codes may indicate where the diagnosis should begin. Monitoring the sensors is the only other way to see which one is failing. If you are planning on having this transmission shifting issue inspected, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to pinpoint the problem and advise on repairs.