Q: After brake switch & assembly replacements, brake lights stay on

The brake lights on my van are staying on. Twice, I have replaced the brake switch plus the brake assembly and switch. Each time I replaced those parts the car would perform well for only about two days. What is the problem that is causing the replacements to not keep working well after only two days? Thanks.

Hello. This sounds like you may have a short in the wiring that goes to the brake light switch. I would recommend having a qualified professional use a digital multimeter to test the brake switch circuit for excess resistance. If the resistance in this circuit is out of specification, there is most likely a short in the wiring somewhere. Finding this short would require tracing the wires through the car and testing resistance in different locations to determine exactly where the short is located. Once the short is found, it may be repaired or the whole harness may require replacement depending on the extent of the damage.