Q: Engine makes a grinding noise when I try to crank it

asked by on May 19, 2016

My car won't start and there's an awful grinding sound when I try to start the engine. Also, it grinds when I push the gas pedal slightly to see if that will help it start, but it doesn't. My mechanic changed the fuel filter, but that didn't help. What will fix this problem?

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

This sounds like the starter is not engaging the flywheel or the flywheel teeth are missing. I would try jumping the battery first to see if this makes a difference. If it does and the engine turns over okay then you may have a battery or cable that is bad and would need to be tested. If the noise is still there, then you may have a bad starter and have the flywheel checked for worn off teeth. If the teeth are worn or broken on the flywheel then it will need to be replaced. The transmission would need to be removed for that. If you need help with this, have a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your car’s starting issue and make the necessary repairs for you.