Q: Occasional difficulty reversing

asked by on June 13, 2016

Recently, I've noticed that my manual transmission doesn't work as well as it used to. It has troubles going into reverse. I checked the shifter along with the transmission fluid and everything looks fine. This issue occurred all of the sudden. It happens sporadically. Sometimes I have no problems reversing while other times, it takes time for me to finally get it to work. Other gears work great. What could cause this? Thank you in advance.

Manual transmissions use synchronizers as buffers between the engagement of the gears. When a manual is difficult to get into reverse, it is either due to the reverse lockout failing or the reverse synchro being worn and taking a few tries to line up for the gear to change. If you would like to have this verified, a mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your shifting issue and perform any repairs you may require.