Q: Pressing on gas pedal, car loses power - 2010 BMW 335d

While exiting the interstate and trying to pass a slower-moving vehicle which was in front of me, I passed it and then accelerated. Surprisingly when I pressed on the gas pedal my car lost complete power for 5-8 seconds. The car I had just passed nearly rear-ended me because naturally, they had not expected me to pass and then reduce speed. I carefully got to the dealer who claimed that he had never heard of such a thing. They could not duplicate the problem and they told me to start driving in the sport mode. Since then (about 1 ½ years), the same problem has happened twice and each time the dealership could not replicate the problem, so there is no solution for me. I need your advice as to what will fix this problem.

Excessive soot and carbon (pre-maturely) from the EGR system is most likely clogging up the intake system, throttle body, etc. Although the dealer is supposed to be responsive, if you are having further issues, or would like a second opinion, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to perform a loss of power inspection on your vehicle, and make necessary repairs.