Q: Loud humming noise

asked by on February 19, 2016

The battery light icon and check charging system came up, and it's making a loud humming noise. I believe the alternator needs replacing.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote
Battery Light is on Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The bearing or brushes in your alternator are likely going out. You could also have another issue in your belt drive system causing the noise and lack of charging.

A visual inspection of the drive system, a stethoscope to listen for noise, and a multimeter to test your battery can determine the cause of your car’s issues. I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your car’s humming noise and Battery Light to recommend the best path to repair.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr