Q: Car won't start - 2006

asked by on November 07, 2016

My ford escape won't start, Its a new battery, and new starter. When we turn the key it makes a noise, but won't start. The volts on the battery also drop from 12 to 7. We have tried many batteries and they all do the same thing. The motor turns over but won't start.

Hey there. If you are getting a voltage drop from 12 to 7 volts, then this is going to be the cause of the no crank. If you have tried other good batteries, then you have problems in the battery connections or cables.

The battery clamp needs to be cleaned first and then check battery voltage at the battery post and it needs to stay above 12 when you check it and it should handle a load of about 200 amps for 15 seconds without battery going below 9.6 volts.

The starter wire then needs to be tested at the starter to make sure the starter is getting full battery voltage when you try and crank the car. If voltage drops more than a half volt from battery voltage then you have a bad cable or connections from the battery to the starter. If the cable tests good, then replace the starter again. It is most likely you will have a bad connection or one of the cables from the battery is not making a good connection to ground or the starter. If you need a diagnostic, a certified pro from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the starting issue and proceed with repairs.