Q: Knocking / squeaking from rear left wheel area when turning right

asked by on April 11, 2017

This has been happening for about a month now. The first day it happened, i took it into the shop and they said my front control arms were going bad, so they replaced both of them. But the sound was coming from the rear and it still is. When i take a right turn while NOT accelerating, i hear a knocking and something that sounds like rubber rubbing together. As soon as i accelerate on the turn it goes away. This is a lot worse when it rains out or when the roads are wet. It also happens when i am driving in gear and i let off the gas a little bit. Usually, it goes away or becomes less persistent after my car warms up, but nonetheless its still there. I looked at my rear shock mounts and they look normal, (I dont know how they would look if they were bad) but i don't think it could be that cuz it sounds like it comes from under the wheel well or that general area. The shock mounts r located in the comprtmnt where conv. top gets stowed and i think I would b able 2 tel if it came from there. Also, it doesn't really squeak when i go over bumps or hit potholes so thats why i also think it cant be the shock mounts but im not sure, thats why im here lol.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The noise you are describing has to originate from the rear axle, differential, suspension or brakes. You are describing a fairly distinct and easily reproducible noise and inasmuch as there really are limited possibilities, particularly if yo have isolated it to one wheel position, as you think you might have, on inspection a mechanic should pinpoint the origin fairly quickly. I would recommend you request a vehicle noise diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will find the origin and estimate the repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.