Q: bearing shaft and balance shaft

asked by on September 01, 2016

My Rav4 is scheduled to have its pistons replaced as part of a fix by Toyota. Toyota is paying for the replacement. The dealership advised that we also replace the balance shaft and bearing shaft while they are working on the engine. The estimated cost of this would be 800 dollars. Do I need to do this? SHould I do this? They did not say they were faulty or broken, just as preventative care since they already had the engine out.

Hi there. The recommendations to replace these parts may be a sales ploy to make some money from you since the dealer has to do this piston work under warranty for you. If you have an engine issue after they do the piston work, they will blame it on these parts that you did not replace. This is not required but recommended. Make sure to get in writing that they were not faulty and recommended as preventative care only. If you need a second opinion on the repair before having it done, a qualified professional from YourMechanic can inspect the car for you to make recommendations.