Q: Grinding noise on the right front wheel when turning right/going straight accelerating at low speed.

Hi, My ford focus was garaged for over a year. Just replaced the right shock as it was leaking and all 4 tyres. Before and after this there is this weird grinding or rattling noise coming from the right wheel. We ruled out the bearing and cv joint, i think. The shock on the right has a slight leak. The noise occurs when going straight and turning right only, and only while accelerating a low speed. Any ideas? No signs of grinding parts or anything when looking from underneath. My mechanic is also not sure right now, he is going to look at it properly tomorrow. Some ideas i could take to him to help him out would be appreciated.

Hi there. At first glance, I would assume the grinding noise is caused by a damaged wheel bearing. When the wheel bearing is starting to fail, it looses lubricity; which causes metal-to-metal contact and a grinding noise is often the symptom. It’s also possible that the rotor is warped and causing contact on the brake caliper. Have your mechanic complete a wheel bearing inspection first to see if this is the cause of your grinding noise, as this is rather common with Ford Focus’.

3. Grinding noise on the right front wheel when turning right/going straight accelerating at low speed.