Q: My car periodically won't start - 2005 Toyota Tacoma

asked by on October 24, 2016

Battery has been checked and its fine. Starter has been checked and its fine. When it doesnt want to start the engine doesnt even turn over. What can it be??

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

Hello. I would need to know if the vehicle has an automatic or manual transmission. If it has a manual, it is typically caused by a bad clutch pedal switch. This closes the circuit for the starter when the clutch pedal is pressed. It can also be the transmission position sensor on an automatic transmission as that only allows the vehicle to start in neutral or park.

I have also seen issues with fuse box connections as well as bad starter relays. I usually test the circuit with a voltage meter while the problem is occurring to be able to properly diagnose this.

If you want to have this starting problem checked, consider having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your home or office to perform an inspection to determine why the car will not start.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr