Q: Q: Oil change

I did an oil change on my car but put too much oil but I took it out the next day . I didn't turn on the car in that time span but when I finally drained it to the right level and turned the car on and used it, it smelled a bit burned and it took like 2 seconds for the gear to change from park to D and same with Park to Reverse . The engine roared but 2 seconds later it moved. Is this due to that extra oil that I put a although I moved turned the car on or used it when if was full

I am not sure how this could have effected your transmission but the other issues you had are very likely related to adding too much oil. Depending on how much extra oil was added, the oil level may have reached the combustion chamber. If oil gets inside the combustion chamber, it will burn along with the fuel when the spark plug fires. Since extra ’fuel’ has been added to the cylinders, the RPMs will rise until it equalizes and the air fuel ratio is correct again. These symptoms should only be temporary until all the extra oil burns off.

This issue may also be associated with smoke coming out of the exhaust and the smell of burned oil for a short period of time. Since all the issues happened at once it is very possible that the transmission issue you had will also go away once the oil has all been burned off. If any issues persist, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come to you to diagnose the smell and the shifting issue you’ve described.

3. Q: Oil change