Q: Am I safe to drive with squealing coming from the engine?

Ok, so recently my car broke down because of some belt issues. I believe the crankshaft pulley was loose and it caused the belt to slip off.

Anyways, I got it repaired and now I hear a squealing noise coming from the engine. On Monday I have a 3 and a half hour drive for a business trip, and I am worrying that my car will not make it. Does it seem safe to drive? Car is a 2004 Buick rendezvous.

Something I noticed is that the squealing only happens when the car is INITIALLY turned on, or when I accelerate.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge of cars.

The squealing noise you’ve described does sound like the accessory drive belt is slipping. Something is still not correct with the belt or tensioner. It needs to be inspected by an experienced mechanic. Ensure that they check pulley alignment and idler pulley as well.

Whenever the belt is replaced the tensioner should be replaced also. At 12 years old and 105k miles, they are overdue. This is a common repair and should not be difficult to get done. I haven’t personally seen your vehicle so I can’t place any odds on whether it it is safe or reliable to drive. Some squeaky belts stay put for a long while (but it is definitely NOT recommended to ignore it) and some belts get shredded and come off. I suggest having it inspected and corrected asap. A qualified mechanic can assist you by diagnosing the squealing noise that you’re hearing. Once the problem is pinpointed they can then make the necessary repairs.

3. Am I safe to drive with squealing coming from the engine?