Q: Check Engine Light with code P0740

No issue with transmission car runs great but engine light won't go off

A: There are a number of symptoms that may acc...

There are a number of symptoms that may accompany a P0740 code, it may be that your car will stall at stop lights, or have trouble shifting, or you may not notice anything at all except your gas mileage is off.

P0740 is a code for the torque converter clutch circuit. The torque converter clutch is an automatic clutch built into the torque converter that engages to lock the driving and driven elements of the torque converter together when you are under way. this eliminates the slippage in the converter that older cars had that wasted energy and therefore fuel. The code is for the electrical circuit, so it could be as simple as a connector working loose. Or it could be the beginning of something worse.

Since the car isn’t giving you any trouble now, you may not feel the need to fix this. But it is important to do so, because once the Check Engine Light is on, it can’t warn you if there are any other malfunctions. Plus, a car with an illuminated Check Engine Light will not pass inspection in most states. By contacting YourMechanic you can have a technician come to your home or office to diagnose your Check Engine Light and help you decide what to do next for an accurate repair.