Q: Trouble With My reverse gear

I own a 2002 Mercury Cougar 35th anniversary edition it's going to be my first car but needs some work when I turn my car on and put it in reverse my car pushes as if it is ready to reverse and when I press the gas my engine revs but no movement I was wondering if this was a simple fix or a sign of a possible bad transmission?

You should put the vehicle in park and check to make sure the fluid is full first. If it is full, then you may have a bad reverse control band or servo in the transmission, and it would need to be overhauled. If you want to have this checked for you, a technician from YourMechanic can come to the car’s location to diagnose the transmission issue and let you know what can be done.