Q: Trouble With My reverse gear

I own a 2002 Mercury Cougar 35th anniversary edition it's going to be my first car but needs some work when I turn my car on and put it in reverse my car pushes as if it is ready to reverse and when I press the gas my engine revs but no movement I was wondering if this was a simple fix or a sign of a possible bad transmission?

A: You should put the vehicle in park and chec...

You should put the vehicle in park and check to make sure the fluid is full first. If it is full, then you may have a bad reverse control band or servo in the transmission, and it would need to be overhauled. If you want to have this checked for you, a technician from YourMechanic can come to the car’s location to diagnose the transmission issue and let you know what can be done.