Q: My car's gas pedal goes out and the car won't drive anymore if my RPM reaches the number 3 on the gauge.

When I'm driving, if Im pushing the gas pedal to hard;/fast, and my RPM's reach up to the number 3, for example if I drive onto the highway... My car will herk really hard a couple of times, and the gas pedal will go out completely, and not allow me to drive anymore. I have to slowly let my car glide to the side of the freeway, or road. The brake works, but the car will not drive anymore. I am aware that I do need an 02 sensor, but I don't know if this the problem, or if I need an UPSTREAM, or DOWNSTREAM O2 Sensor.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

A: Hello, I would start by extracting the prob...

Hello, I would start by extracting the problem codes from engine management and the transmission as well. You don't mention it, but surely the Check Engine light is on at this point. These codes will help determine a strategy for diagnosis and repair.

The leading candidate for the failure mode(s) you see is the throttle position sensor. This is the electronic connection from the gas pedal to both the engine and transmission. If it fails, there can be partial or complete power loss as you experience. Check Engine codes will also provide guidance as to replacing O2 sensors.

I would recommend having a Check Engine Light inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.