Q: Idle too high. 1994 Chrysler New Yorker

My idle is too high in my car. It should be at 800 but is idling at 1250 rmps. I put in a new Idle Air Control valve. My Powertrain Control Module is clear, and my scan tool said there were no codes. The air conditioning is off and the car is warmed up. Do you know how I could get my car to idle where it should be?

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in about your...

Hey there, thanks for writing in about your 1994 Chrysler New Yorker. Start your engine and let it idle in park for at least 5 minutes. Listen and check the engine for any vacuum leaks or inlet air tube leaks. Any vacuum leaks will result in a higher than normal idle. You may need to use a rubber hose to your ear to isolate any vacuum leak. You will hear a sucking sound when you find it. For help having this resolved, a professional from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to inspect the high idle and let you know what repairs are needed.