Q: My 2010 BMW 535 xDrive (n54) is making a ticking noise

asked by on November 01, 2016

My 2010 BMW 535 xdrive (n54) is making a ticking noise.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

It is not uncommon for BMW’s to tick, but there are solutions that are helpful. Keeping the revs up (instead of lugging around like it was a big V8) is one way to do this. Keeping it at about 2000 RPM is successful for some. Bleeding or replacing the lifters is the BMW prescribed method (BMW Service Bulletin BMW SIB 11.09.07). The most successful method seems to be running the engine oil that meets BMW LL-01 specification. If you are notice the noise worsening or are experiencing any drivability concerns with this, then have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, diagnose the ticking noise in person to help pinpoint any faults.