Q: Crank, No Start, replaced fuel and relay.

asked by on July 15, 2016

My truck shut off on me as I was driving, after it died I turned the key and it cranks over but does not start, so I figured it wasn't the battery or alternator. I only pulled one plug wire off and tested it and I have spark. I then did everything imaginable to test the pump and relay. It came out to be the pump. I replace the pump and filter and still no fuel and the pump doesn't even come on. I get a relay and still nothing. I then tested to see if I was getting power to the pump, at the harness coming out of the tank I put a meter on those wires and I'm only getting 8 volts so I use a 12 volt battery with leads to jump the pump and it comes on but no gas come out of the line. I'm lost.

When you applied power to test the pump directly, you may have had the power and ground backwards, and ran the pump backwards.

The pump connector that is only getting 8 volts should be replaced. The connectors are known to have a problem with voltage loss through the connectors due to corrosion. Replace the connector and it should fix your problem. Do not insert your big tester pin into the new connector or you may damage the female connector.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr