Q: My car is running fine but, today i hear a squealing sound when my car is turned on. What could this be?

My car is running fine but, today i hear a squealing sound when my car is turned on. What could this be?

A: Hi there. A squealing noise as you’ve descr...

Hi there. A squealing noise as you’ve described sounds like a belt noise. A loose, weakened, or stretched belt may be the culprit. However, a weak belt tensioner could also be the root cause of the noise. Either of these conditions lets the belt literally flap violently until it finally settles down. YourMechanic has several available technicians to assist you with a belt noise inspection, serpentine belt replacement, and/or belt tensioner replacement.