Q: Car shaking, grating noise in reverse

Hello. After a minor accident in which I hit the curb, I changed the axle on my car as the boot was torn. The car ran fine after that without any issues for about a month. Then, the other day, the car started shaking with a grating sound and was barely moving while I was backing out. The car has the same issues when it is put in reverse only. I've noticed that there is almost no grease and the boot is torn, when I looked under the car. What is causing this shaking and grating sounds? Thanks.

A: Hello. If there is no grease on the axle, t...

Hello. If there is no grease on the axle, this may cause the car to shake and make grating sounds while driving. This happens because the grease that is in the axle lubricates the other moving parts in the axle. If there is no grease in the axle boots, the moving parts rub metal and this will cause the car to shake and make grating sounds. The axle may also seize up which will make it difficult for the vehicle to move. There could be damage to the wheels also. This will need to be inspected, in addition to inspecting the axle and suspension system. I would suggest have the brakes, steering and suspension system inspected by a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic. They can come to you and diagnose these issues at your home or office.