Q: What tips should I follow during cold weather?

asked by on December 14, 2015

What tips should I follow during cold weather?

Wintertime can be pretty challenging depending on where you live. If you’re in an area where severe cold is not just a possibility, but highly likely, here are a few things you’ll need to do to protect your car:

1. Make sure your coolant is up to the challenge. Have it tested regularly to ensure that it can protect the engine during cold weather.

2. Have your battery tested regularly, as cold weather can damage or kill it.

3. Make sure you have changed your summer tires for winter tires, or at least tires rated for mud and snow (M+S on the sidewall). Check if studded snow tires are legal in your area.

4. Keep a set of tire chains in your trunk if you do not use studded snow tires.

5. Keep an ice scraper in the car to clear the windshield of snow and ice.

6. Make sure the washer fluid reservoir is filled with wintertime fluid (it contains a deicer).