Can it hurt my car if i drive it with the battery saver a...

Q: Can it hurt my car if i drive it with the battery saver active light on?

asked by on May 02, 2017

My battery saver active light is on will it hurt to drive it? Also my car cranks when it wants to....most of the time I have to jump it off or charge the battery for 10 mins just to get it to crank. The battery is only a few months old.....

Hi There, The battery saver active light indicates that the system has detected that the battery charge is low, which generally means either the battery itself is weak or that the charging system is not properly charging the battery and maintaining that charge sufficiently. This may be a result of a faulty alternator or potentially a bad voltage regulator. When the voltage regulator is not working properly, this may result in the alternator allowing too much power to be delivered to the battery resulting in damaging wires and prematurely sometimes destroying the battery. In other cases it may result in the alternator not supplying enough power to the battery, resulting in undercharging the battery or not charging it at all. In some cases when a battery is too weak or damaged, it may no longer hold a charge for any length of time, in which case the alternator may be doing its job, but the battery is just simply too weak to hold a charge. In either case, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look your vehicle’s charging system.