Q: Headlights go out randomly, will come back on after

asked by on October 29, 2015

One of the headlights on my 2011 Dodge Ram will turn off for a while before coming back on. It’s always the driver’s side light, and replacing the bulb did not help the problem. I have never had both lights go out, and the way the problem fixes itself after a while makes me think that it’s an electrical issue. Truck is at 50,000 miles Would an expensive fix be worth it to fix such a small problem? Is there a real risk of both lights going out while driving at night?

As silly as it sounds, the issue is most likely caused by an intermittent failure in your Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM). Of course it’s important to have the circuit and connections checked, but the TIPM is the most common issue. This module has a history of causing issues similar to this and may also cause other electrical problems in systems like the power door locks and other exterior lights. It is an expensive repair, so be prepared. It is recommended to have it checked by a qualified mechanic, as you just cannot predict when the issue will become worse.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr