Q: Tires blow out very fast

I have a problem with the tires on my car, which keep blowing out for no apparent reason. I should mention that I use 225/45R17 Michelin tires. The car has gone around 150,000 miles. I replaced all the tires on the car, several times during the last 15,000 miles of driving. I am unable to rotate them as the rear ones have a different size than the front tires. What could cause tires to blow out so quickly?

Often times, premature tire wear can be attributed to how a vehicle’s suspension is aligned. On the CLK320, the manufacturer settings indicate a slight positive toe setting (tires are toed inward) and a negative camber setting (top of the tires are inward from true vertical).

Check the wear patterns on the tires if the wear is occurring on the inner edge then this would most likely be attributed to too much negative camber. Whereas wear on the outer edge would be attributed to too much positive causing the front tires to fight each other. Now if the alignment is adjusted when the tires are replaced, you could ask for the least positive toe setting while staying within specification and the least negative camber setting, and this will reduce tire wear. However, you will still want to stay within the manufacturer’s specification. Otherwise, vehicle handling characteristics could become compromised. If you want to have this looked at, a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, can come to your car’s location to inspect your suspension and determine what repairs will resolve this issue.

3. Tires blow out very fast