Q: My car just started making a knocking sound either in or around the engine and it's only when I take my foot off the gas

asked by on February 07, 2018

It makes a knocking sound in or around the engine when I immediately take my foot off the gas or maintaining . Sometimes it's louder than other times and sometimes it fades away as the car warms up. But it fine when it's idling or waiting at a red light. It has no problems cranking or staying on. I had just bought the supplies to do an oil change and top off the antifreeze cause I noticed that was getting low. Could those be the problem and once I finish changing the oil and antifreeze could that fix the problem?

Without hearing the knocking noise it will be hard to determine if the engine has internal problem and an oil change will not fix the issue. The loss of coolant may be a bad water pump or a blown head gasket and should be diagnosed by a mechanic like one from YourMechanic.