Q: Delay between second and third gear in 2002 Lexus GS 430

2002 Lexus GS 430. Everything's great. Love the car, except when shifting between gear two and three, there's a slight delay, which results in a harder shift. Any ideas?

A: Basically, change the filter and fluid and ...

Basically, change the filter and fluid and see what happens. Use should also use a Toyota fluid - it works better on those things than a Lexus Toyota fluid. Don’t use the aftermarket fluid. As they get that old, they get a little bit rough inside. Sometimes a little dirt and corrosion will get inside, so changing the fluid will help. If it doesn’t, personally, I’d live with that. Because, to rebuild one of those transmissions, you are going to spend between 300 and 5500 dollars. It is an expensive job overall.