Q: My transmission died on me

The transmission in my 2010 GMC Terrain failed catastrophically the other day and the whole drivetrain only has 44,000 miles on it! I was shocked when the transmission started humming and struggled to shift. I couldn’t even shift into reverse! It is an automatic trans and should last a heck of a lot longer than that. Is there anything I need to take care of after the transmission is replaced? Like warning signs I should look out for?

Transmission issues will often give you small signs that a trip to the shop is needed. The warning signs can be subtle shifting problems like a slightly delayed or harsh shift, sometimes even a delay before the transmission goes into gear. Other issues will cause the Check Engine Light to come on, because the transmission is controlled by a computer that communicates with the engine control module. GMC has released service bulletin 09-07-30-016A that has technicians reprogram the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to help eliminate hesitation and incorrect shifting. Once the transmission is replaced and you are back on the road, it is important to change the transmission fluid on a regular basis, GMC recommends doing this every 50,000 miles.

3. My transmission died on me