Q: The car turns off suddenly, no check engine light

Hi. My car is in a very good condition and regularly maintained. It doesn't have the check engine light on or anything, but lately it started turning off for no apparent reason. I totally shut off while I was driving. I had to pull off from the highway and turn it on again. It has about 80,000 miles on it. Is it the battery or something more serious? I appreciate your help.

A: Hi there. If the vehicle is just randomly t...

Hi there. If the vehicle is just randomly turning off like this, it is almost always caused by a bad crank position sensor on this engine. This is very common and it will not turn on the Check Engine Light when it is intermittent. I typically monitor the engine speed with a scan tool when the problem occurs, but intermittent problems can be tough. If you are going to have this repaired, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair your stalling issue.