Q: What are the signs my Timing Chain needs to be replaced?

asked by on February 06, 2017

Rattle on startup (1 second). I think it was replaced before I bought it with 65,000 miles on it in 2012. It idles quietly and runs great.

Noise from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi there. The noise that you are hearing could be either the timing chain or the variable valve timing solenoids. If the sound is constant and rattles easy and does not bog down the engine, then the timing chain is loose and either the guides are worn or the pressure adjuster is plugged up. If the rattling noise is difficult and bogs down the engine, then the variable valve time solenoids are sticking and need replaced. If you need further assistance with your engine making a rattling noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.