Q: Loss of engine oil in Toyota Corolla

Every now and then, it loses some engine oil. There's no leaking in the system. My mechanic says it's burning the oil. What should I do?

It’s got to be burning it. If you don’t see it leaking on the ground and you lose oil, then the only possible explanation it that it is burning it.

First, change the PCV valve. They cost five to six bucks. Change that--they stick, open and they can suck oil and burn oil.

That’s a really simple fix. If that doesn’t fix it, then you just live with it. Like I said earlier, you can change the oil and filter, and put Castrol GTX--which is really good oil--and maybe some Lucas oil additive and that will slow the burning down somewhat.

But when they are 11 years old, they are allowed to burn a little more oil, as long as you keep adding some. When you get down to one quart, add another quart. The car can still go on for years and will be perfectly fine. To have this problem go away, you are not going to rebuild the engine which will cost you 3 – 5,000 dollars.