Started hearing knocking from engine. Pulled dipstick and...

Q: Started hearing knocking from engine. Pulled dipstick and no oil. Will adding oil make knocking go away?

asked by on March 07, 2018

Did an oil change earlier today. As I’m driving home later in the day I start hearing a knocking sound coming from the engine. I manage to get it home, pull the dipstick and it shows no oil. Is it possible to add more oil and the knocking goes away or will the engine need to be rebuilt?

That will have everything to do with how far you drove without oil pressure. I can’t give you a mileage figure, but as soon as the oil pressure goes away, continuing to run the engine is doing damage. The longer it runs, the greater the damage. But don’t throw in the towel yet. Find out why the oil is gone, my guess is a problem at the oil filter, and fix that problem. Then refill the engine with oil and see what happens. If it still knocks, you are probably looking at major repairs. If you want some help evaluating this, contact YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your knocking Pontiac and let you know what it is going to take to solve the problem.