Q: Tires wear fast and don’t wear evenly

asked by on October 30, 2015

The tires on my 2011 Honda CR-V have worn out much faster than I have experienced with any other car I’ve owned. After 40,000 miles, road noise began to be a real problem. The tires appeared to be wearing unevenly. I had the vehicle aligned but the tires wore out anyway. This made vibrations throughout the whole car too. This is really a strange problem, but I can’t afford to buy new tires every year. What can I do to fix this?

When it come tire wear there are many things that can cause tire wear to seem excessive. First you stated that you had the alignment done. There was a rear camber angle specification change for the rear of your CRV as per Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) A13100I dated October 2013. The TSB change to camber may or may not contribute to your tire wear. Road noise from tires is an indication that rotations not being done often enough. The type, model and manufacturer of the tires you are using will reflect on amount of tire wear, traction, and load ratings. There are a lot of different tires that fit your CRV from different tire manufactures. Each of these different tires will have a tread wear mileage rating that could range from no rating guarantee, to a 90,000 mile guarantee. The lower end tires may last less than 20,000 miles, and higher end will last longer with proper maintenance. I recommend having your tires aligned and adjusted per the manufacturers specifications, and recommend tire rotations to be done at each oil and filter change. Talk to YourMechanic for recommendations on how often to rotate your tires or how to check tread wear patterns for abnormal wear to determine if a problem may be present.