Q: As I drive, the door locks and keep locking and unlocking, and acceleration seems sluggish.

asked by on October 12, 2016

Initially, it only happened once in a while. Now it happens every time I drive. As I drive the door locks keep locking and unlocking, and acceleration seems sluggish. It will stop for a while when driving and then start up again. There is no check engine light on.

Hello, thanks for writing in. Most of the time this is due to a bad connection or a failing ignition switch. If this is occurring with the locks as well as a power loss then you may have a bad ignition switch. I would treat these as separate issues though. I would start by checking for any codes in the computer relating to the power loss and check all of the sensor readings. That should turn up the problem with the power loss. Then I would check and see what the locks are cycling by checking the connection at the main switch and doing a voltage drop test of the ignition switch. It can also be a fuse box or battery issue so those should be checked also prior to replacing anything. If you need to have this door lock and power loss checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the issue for you and make or suggest the necessary repairs.