Q: Smells like burning oil

I own a 2008 Toyota Camry 2.4L 4 cylinder engine. At about 67K miles, the engine started consuming oil and I noticed a burnt oil smell while in the car. The engine was examined and there were no fluid leaks. The car has been maintained with premium oil and filters since I bought it new. Now, the car has 130k miles and it consumes a quart of oil every 1K miles. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

It sounds like you have been doing your best to keep your car running top notch! Sometimes even with our best efforts, problems can arise from certain cars, which are often of no fault of the owner. From the description of what you are experiencing, I would assume we are encountering another one of our concerns over an oil consumption problem, common with Toyota’s during the years yours was manufactured. Your first stop would be with a Toyota dealership, however, be sure to mention that you are there for one of their free of charge Oil Consumption tests. This test is made up of two parts, with the first consisting of draining the engine oil and replacing the oil filter before making sure the engine has enough of the oil required for it. After oil measurement, the car is then driven 1100-1300 miles before volume is then re-verified. For even more accurate results, tamper seals are also used on on all parts involved with the engine oil. Toyota is offering a free warranty extension to cover all eligible cars with repairs involving this excessive oil consumption. Once verified with Toyota, you are then free to have your repair performed by your trusted independent mechanic and can later be reimbursed for the cost with Toyota, provided you follow the warranty enhancement reimbursement checklist.

3. Smells like burning oil